A $15 million global competition to
To take control of their own learning
The Global Learning XPRIZE challenges teams from around the world to develop open source and scalable software that will enable children in developing countries to teach themselves basic reading, writing and arithmetic within 15 months. Once the 15-month field-testing phase concludes, the prize purse will be objectively awarded to the team that generates the best international standardized test scores within the group of participating children. Our goal is an empowered generation that will positively impact their communities, countries and the world.
Teams will compete in a multi-stage competition that test for specific criteria:
- Ability to measurably increase the learning of children, with limited access to schooling, within the 15-month field-testing period.
- Creation of a design that is easy to use and engaging for children, so they can operate it alone and/or in self-organized groups.
- Creation of open source software that makes marked improvements to existing technology.
XPRIZE is looking to provide resources to help distribute solutions after the competition
The Global Learning XPRIZE has not only challenged Android developers to build software that enables children to learn autonomously, we understand that the competition is only the first step. We would like to develop resources to ensure final solutions are distributed, shared and championed around the world. We need your help to do this, become a champion, provide a resource or support the competition because, the more who know, the educational access around the world will grow.
- 1.6 Million more teachers are needed in classrooms by 2015 – UNESCO
- 250 million children around the world cannot read or write - UNESCO
- Learning basic reading skills could lift 171 million people out of poverty - UNESCO
PRIZE PROGRESS9/2014Launch and Registration Opens3/2015Registration Deadline5/2016Tablet Specifications Released10/2016Detailed Submittal Instructions Released1/2017Submission of Entries6/2017Semifinalists Announced5/2017 - 6/2017Pilot Test for Semifinalists6/2017"Live" Judging for Semifinalists9/2017Finalists Announced11/2017 - 2/2019Field Test4/2019Announcement of Grand Prize Winner
Media MentionsApril 29, 2016
Hundreds of millions of kids around the world lack access to, among other things, basic education — much less organized school systems with adequate teaching resources.April 29, 2016
Having propelled humanity to the edge of space, the XPRIZE now hopes to inspire education for hundreds of millions of children, starting with a five-year competition that launches in Tanzania today.April 21, 2015
Over the past 20 years, the XPRIZE Foundation has become famous for sparking private sector innovation in space technology and exploration.
Become a Part of the Future! Sign Up for Our Newsletter: